Communication Square

Definition of 母語 in Chinese

04 Oct 2018 (UTC)
#0 宅女 [QmRykzY]
I've noticed that sometimes Taiwanese guys here clam that English is their mother tongue (select English as a mother tongue) on their ad, in spite of being intermediate level.

For Japanese people, or in Japanese, mother tongue (母語) means your first language that you've learnt from your parents at home.
It is the same for British-Kiwi guys or in Kiwi English, according to my Kiwi partner.
Is that "the language you know" for Taiwanese or in Chinese?

多謝 ^^
#1 No Problem [V2eZZIA]
Due to reports of policy violations, the content is currently hidden.
06 Oct 2018 (UTC)
#2 Tomato [OJAHQTE]
Because most young people in Taiwan Province have lost their dignity. They are the most naive person I have ever seen because they feel that speaking English is nobler than Chinese.
22 Dec 2018 (UTC)
#3 [R3EpmFA]
誰も質問にちゃんと答えてないし(英語力低すぎてこんな簡単な英文で書かれた質問の意味も理解できない?)、母語の定義うんぬんじゃなくて誠意とかマナーの問題じゃないかな?誰がどう見ても母語は日本語じゃないのに、日本語を母語としている人もいるよwhttps://www.jcinfo.net/ja/lookfor/40241.html
09 Jan 2019 (UTC)
#4 [aGkIGAA]
No, 母語 means the first language you learn from your family in Chinese as well. Those people probably just don't care or did it in purpose.

And I'm surprised that someone actually said that Taiwan is a "multilingual society".... Speaking different dialect doesn't make Taiwan multilingual lol..
11 Jan 2019 (UTC)
#5 [R3EpmFA]
I totally agree with the responce posted on Jan 11th. Even if English was one of Taiwanese official languages, most of us can't say that my 母語 is English.

Well-educated Taiwanese who understand the essence of English never claim that the first language is English, well-mannered Taiwanese never post responces insulting people of provinces LOL
12 Jan 2019 (UTC)
#6 [R3EpmFA]
台湾人になりすました人では?例の投資系のスキャマーとか。
21 Apr 2021 (UTC)
#7 yaya [GTMYUYk]
I guess they might didn't read it clearly, probably think it means to choose the language they know .
I think all people in Taiwan knows 母語 means mother tongue because we use the same character in Taiwan as the same meanings~
27 Apr 2021 (UTC)
#8 [JRAzFBA]
Another possibility is that they are scammers who pretend to be Taiwanese.

I sometimes recognize posts which conteint feature of Investment scam and Romance scam. The investment one usually pretend to the be Singaporean but Romance one are various. There are some cases which the scammers pretend to be Taiwanese, according to sites by anti-scam activists.

I have also seen someone saying that her mother tongue is Japanese but I could recognize many gramatical errors that native Japanese speakers never have. I don't know whether or not she is a scammer but I can obviously say that Japanese is not her mother tongue so her post is not legit. 学日語的大家請小心, 他イ門的日語只是N4左右程度。
28 Apr 2021 (UTC)
#9 kiki [I4lmZ4Q]
Maybe there are people misunderstand the term or misuse the platform on purpose. BUT this is the platform itself allow people to do so, it indicated “可複選” (you could choose more than one) under mother tongue.
It is not a system bug?
The platform itself should remedy.

たぶん、用語を誤解したり、悪い目的にプラットフォームを誤用したりする人がいます。 しかし、これは人々がそうすることを可能にするプラットフォームであり、それは母国語の下で「可複選」(複数選択可能)を示しました。 システムのバグではありませんか? プラットフォームが改善する必要があります。(機械翻訳支援)
05 May 2021 (UTC)
#10 [R3EpmFA]
There is also a Japanese guy who says that Japanese and English are her mother tongue but her English level is intermediate and she has not written any Japanese.
Moreover she has not registered her email address like 投資が好きなお姉さんたち who are here to look for LINE users for something other than language exchange/friend search. So it sounds catfishes, regardless the meaning of 母語.
05 May 2021 (UTC)
#11 [R3EpmFA]
This post has been removed.
06 May 2021 (UTC)
#12 kiki [I4lmZ4Q]
Due to reports of policy violations, the content is currently hidden.
06 May 2021 (UTC)
#13 [R3EpmFA]
I have never used ad posting function for language exchange, but if multiple languages can be selected as mother tongue, I think ammending is a good idea as kiki mentioned. Personally setting it to be capable to choose just one language is better, I think mother tongue is one or two for most people in general.

Meanwhile, the real issue that this thread is mentioning is, there are people posting or writing something not true on purpose. They may select a wrong language as a mother tongue anyway. People with moral who selected a wrong language as a mother tongue by mistake delete the post soon and re-post a new one, or add a comment to let everybody know that that language is not a mother his/her mother tongue but he/she is fluent so he/she can help the others with it.
06 May 2021 (UTC)
#14 [JRAzFBA]
母語がいくつも選択できるようになっているから悪い、そしてそれを管理人さんに意見しないのが悪いと言って論点をずらしている人がいるけど、サイトの改善には同意するが、やはりモラルの問題。サイトを改善して母語を一つしか選択できなくしても詐欺師はどうせ英語を選ぶのだから。
06 May 2021 (UTC)
#15 [R3EpmFA]
That is what we call 419 scam. How an US-born-US-raised guy with a decent job, a medical doctor working for UN, a native English speaker working as a teacher, could write poor English with a lot of grammatical errors, which is even worse than TOEIC 600 level?
17 Jun 2021 (UTC)
Now Loading...