Definition of 母語 in Chinese

October 4, 2018
  • Name : 宅女
  • Category : About Chinese
I've noticed that sometimes Taiwanese guys here clam that English is their mother tongue (select English as a mother tongue) on their ad,  in spite of being intermediate level.

For Japanese people, or in Japanese, mother tongue (母語) means your first language that you've learnt from your parents at home. 
It is the same for British-Kiwi guys or in Kiwi English, according to my Kiwi partner.
Is that "the language you know" for Taiwanese or in Chinese? 

多謝 ^^
Password :
October 6, 2018
Name : No Problem
In Taiwan many people have the experience of living abroad when they were children.  Many of them went to the US, but Australia has become popular in recent years.  "小留學生"is what they were called.

Taiwan is essentially a multilingual society.  Many people know that Taiwanese people speak both Chinese (Mandarin) and Taiwanese, but there are also the Hakka language and the aboriginal languages.

As a small island lacking in natural resources, conducting trades with foreign countries has been a critical part of Taiwan's economy, and many people have their occupations in international trade.  Naturally these people must be proficient in English.  Recently there is a movement in Taiwan to make English the second official language.

By the way, I wonder how you studied English.  The structure of your English is a mess.  "Lang-8" may be helpful to you.  Otherwise you will continue speaking or writing in English without grasping the essence of it.
Password :
December 22, 2018
Name : Tomato
Because most young people in Taiwan Province have lost their dignity. They are the most naive person I have ever seen because they feel that speaking English is nobler than Chinese.
Password :
January 9, 2019
Name : NO-NAME
誰も質問にちゃんと答えてないし(英語力低すぎてこんな簡単な英文で書かれた質問の意味も理解できない?)、母語の定義うんぬんじゃなくて誠意とかマナーの問題じゃないかな?誰がどう見ても母語は日本語じゃないのに、日本語を母語としている人もいるよwhttps://www.jcinfo.net/ja/lookfor/40241.html
Password :
January 11, 2019
No, 母語 means the first language you learn from your family in Chinese as well. Those people probably just don't care or did it in purpose.

And I'm surprised that someone actually said that Taiwan is a "multilingual society".... Speaking different dialect doesn't make Taiwan multilingual lol..
Password :
January 12, 2019
I totally agree with the responce posted on Jan 11th. Even if English was one of Taiwanese official languages, most of us can't say that my 母語 is English.

Well-educated Taiwanese who understand the essence of English never claim that the first language is English, well-mannered Taiwanese never post responces insulting people of provinces LOL
Password :
February 9, 2019
アメリカ人やアメリカ育ちをアピールしている人は大抵詐欺師です。
アメリカ人やアメリカ育ちの人は、こんな稚拙な英語は書きません(書けません)。
日本や台湾の大学生だって、もっと正確な英語を書きます。

Hello friend
How is your life$B!$(B my name is Miss Willome Scott from the United States of America$B!$(B I am 27 years old; I have seen your contact email$B!$(B so I am very interested in establishing a new friendship with you and establishing a good business relationship with you.contact me here(willomescot@gmail.com) So I look forward to your response so that I can provide you with more details about me and discuss important issues with you.
 Thank you
 Miss Willome
Password :

Name

Reply message*

Password *

Verification code* Type the charactors you see in the picture

Registration not required. Completely free. Another foreign language learning style.